1. Name the first private firm to be protected by Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which usually guard government installations?
Infosys, Software giant
2. Which country will be the first international customer of the Boeing P-8I Poseidon, a variant of the P-8A Poseidon, US Navy's newest maritime Patrol and reconnaissance aircraft showcased by the Boeing Company?
3. Who won the gold medal in the final of the Men's 100m Freestyle at the FINA Swimming World Championships in Rome?
Cesar Cielo Filho(Brazil)
4. Who became Australia's highest test run-scorer on the second day of the third Ashes test against England?
Ponting passed Allan Border's mark of 11,174 runs (156 Tests).
Ponting -11,188 runs (134 Tests)
5. Country which enforced assisted suicide law that will apply to people who help their loved ones die as well as to those who help them die abroad?
6. Name the first Sikh soldiers who are included the security wing of British Queen Elizabeth II?
Simranjit Singh and Lance Cpl. Sarvjit Singh
They are the first Sikhs to take part in patrols outside the queen's residence and to stand watch over the Crown jewels at the Tower of London across town.
7. Which team won the Audi Cup after beating Manchester United 7-6 in the penalty shootout, after the 90 minutes ended in a 0-0 draw?
8. Former England Football manager and coach, died at the age of 76 after a long battle with cancer?
He led England to the World Cup semis during his reign from 1982 to 1990.
9. Who breaks world record in 200-meter medley (1:54.10), toppling Michael Phelps' previous world record by 0.13 seconds?
10. Who has been appointed as the next Director General (DG) of the Border Security Force (BSF)?
11. Constitutional expert, who was recently appointed Governor of Gujarat, died recently due to liver problems even before he could take up his assignment?
Devendra Nath Dwivedi
12. Which country won the Emerging Players Cricket Tournament title, defeating South Africa by 17 runs in the final ?
Virat Kohli cracked a rollicking century (104)in the final that helped India to win the title.
13. Indian men's doubles pair who won the New Zealand Open Grand Prix title in Auckland, New Zealand?
Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas
14. Who won the 100-meter butterfly at the world swimming championships in Rome, setting a World record to become the first swimmer to eclipse the event’s 50- second barrier?
15. Asia's first Female President and former President of the Republic of the Philippines who was hailed as a modern-day Joan of Arc died recently due to colon cancer?
Corazon Cojuangco Aquino
16. 16th World Junior Women's Team Squash Championship held in Chennai won by ?
Heba el-Turk and Nour el-Sherbini of Egypt beat Hong Kong 2-0 in the final match.
17. Who won the World Junior Men’s Squash Championship title ?
Mohamed El Shorbagy (Egypt)
18. Who has set the 38th world record of the world swimming championships in the men's 50-meter backstroke.?
19. Who set the world record in the 50-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Open National Championships?
She split a time of 29.95 seconds to beat the previous mark of 30.09 set by Yuliya Efimova of Russia at the world championships.
20. Name of the nano satellite which is recently developed by a group of students at IIT Kanpur that provides real-time data on drought, flood, vegetation and forestation?
The nanosatellite costed Rs 2.5 crore to develop and will be handed over to ISRO. Santanu Agrawal, an M Phil student headed the successful team of whiz kids of IIT Kanpur.
21. Bollywood actress who selected Elesh Parujanwala, a Canadian businessman from Toronto, as her future bridegroom from among the three finalists in the reality show broadcast on NDTV Imagine.?
22. Prominent Indian social activist, who has done pioneering work for "development of rural communities", was named along with five others for the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award for 2009, considered as Asia's equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
Other five 2009 Magsaysay awardees:
Krisana Kraisintu (Thailand)
Yu Xiaogang (China)
Antonio Oposa, Jr, (Philippines),
Ma Jun (China)
Ka Hsaw Wa (Burma)
23. Who is the new Chairman and Managing Director of GAIL (India) Ltd, the country's largest gas transportation company?
B C Tripathi
24. The five-match one-day Cricket series between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in Sri Lanka won by?
Thilan Thushara was named Man of the Series.
25. A prominent Gandhian who made a mark in the history of the national movement by gifting her gold ornaments to Mahatma Gandhi as a 17-year-old, died recently ?
Hailed by the Mahatma himself as a symbol of renunciation, Kaumudi voluntarily donated her ornaments to Gandhi during his visit to Vatakara , in Kerala in 1934
26. Who has bagged the prestigious UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2009?
Khabar Lahariya, a fortnightly newspaper in Hindi run by rural women in Uttar Pradesh won the prestigious award. Nirantar, a non-governmental organisation, which runs "Khabar Lahariya" a fortnightly newspaper in Hindi
27. Noted South Indian actor and national award winner who had been closely associated with pro-Left cultural and intellectual movements in the state of Kerala, died recently ?
Murali. He won the state award for the best actor thrice and the national award in 2001 for his performance in Malayalam movie “Naithukaran”.
28. India Government has approved the acquisition of five Russian early warning choppers in a bid to strengthen the Navy's capabilities to detect airborne and surface-based maritime threats. Name of that chopper?
29. The last known surviving British soldier to have fought in the First World War trenches, died at the age of 111?
30. The Pakistani Taliban leader who was killed recently in a CIA missile strike?
31. Who is the first Spanish woman to become the judge of the Supreme Court of United States?
32. Hockey Test series between India and Belgium is won by?
India clinch the three-match hockey series 2-1
33. Who is appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive of ING Vysya Bank for a period of three years?
34. Writer-director, Hollywood’s youth impresario of the 1980s and ’90s who captured the teen and preteen market with such favorites as “The Breakfast Club,” Sixteen Candles”,”Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and “Home Alone, died recently ?
35. Which country dominated the Asian Youth Chess Championship, topping seven of the 12 categories as the event concluded at the Tivoli Garden Resort, New Delhi?
India won a total of eight gold, seven silver and eight bronze. Vietnam won two gold, while Kazakhstan, UAE and Iran won one each
36. Who is appointed as the army chief of Nepal?
Lt. Gen. Chhatraman Singh Gurung
37. Indian-American, expert in Intellectual Property, who is appointed for a key post in the US Commerce Department by the president Barack Obama?
He is an expert in Intellectual Property will work to open foreign markets to American technology.
38. Which team won the Italian Super Cup beating Inter Milan in the final by 2-1?
39. Which country won the World junior volleyball championship (Under 21) in 2009?
Brazil. They beat Cuba in the final. Brazil had won the title in 2001 & 2007
and runners up in 2003 & 2005. Cuba had first time became runners-up in this tournament. India lost in the Semifinals and had to satisfy with the fourth position.
40. The Captain of the Spanish football team Espanyol, who has died from a heart attack at the age of 26?
41. Who won the Man of the Match award in the fourth Ashes Test ?
He won Man of the Match for his brilliant hundred in the first innings.
42. Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) president who sworn-in as Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab for the second time this year?
Sukhbir Singh Badal
43. Which team won the Community Shield football title beating Manchester United 4-1 on penalties at Wembley after the teams drew 2-2 ?
44. Sister of former U.S.President John F. Kennedy, who carried on the family's public service tradition by founding the Special Olympics and championing the rights of the mentally disabled, died recently at the age of 88?
Eunice Kennedy Shriver
45. Name the bowler played for Holland in the recent Twenty20 World Cup , who is recently included in the Australian team for the 20-20 match against England?
46. Name the TV crime show host who faces jail after allegedly ordering murders in a bid to boost television ratings?
He is accused of arranging crimes and then broadcasting exclusive footage of the scenes.
47. One of the most revered guitarists in history and the father of the electric guitar, who passed away at the age of 94.
Photo Michael Ochs Archive Getty
48. Ashok Chakra, the nation’s highest peacetime award for gallantry on the eve of Independence Day is given to ?
Major Mohit Sharma(Posthumous)
Major D. Sreeram Kumar
49. Keerthi Chakra Awardees:
1.Major Amit Oscar Fernandes of 7 Maratha Light Infantry.
2.Major Deepak Tewari of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers Corps serving with 14 Rashtriya Rifles in Kashmir.
3.Paratrooper Shabir Ahmed Malik.
4.Naik Rishikesh Gurjar of 10 Rashtriya Rifles (Rajput).
50. Coach of West Indies who was sacked by the West Indies Cricket board ahead of the Champions Trophy?
51. American who was sentenced to seven years in prison but then deported after swimming to the lakeside home of detained Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi?
John William Yettaw
52. Zimbabwe's player who equaled Saeed Anwar's record highest individual one-day international score of 194 in the match against Bangladesh?
53. Chinese ace who is poised to become the first player in World Badminton Championship history to win three successive men's singles titles?
54. Who won the Rogers Cup doubles title beating Max Mirnyi and Andy Ram in Montreal.
Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowles.
55. Who won Britain's first ever World Championship heptathlon gold medal at the 12th IAAF World Athletics Championships?
56. Who broke the world record at the 12th IAAF World Athletics Championships in Berlin after running the 100 meter sprint in just 9.58 seconds?
57. Who broke the world record at the 12th IAAF World Athletics Championships in Berlin after running the 200 meter sprint in just 19.19seconds?
58. Who won women's shot put gold at the 12th World Athletic Championships in Berlin?
Valerie Vili from New Zealand
59. Who becomes the first farmer of India to receive pension implemented by a state?
N. Krishna Kurup. He is the first farmer to receive pension which is implemented by Government of Kerala
60. Who won the Cincinnati Open Tennis title after beating top-ranked Russian Dinara Safina in the final ?
61. Scottish tennis player has won the Montreal Masters event in Canada beating Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro in the final?
62. The Nobel Peace Prize laureate and former president of South Korea who was crucial in promoting the country's "Sunshine Policy" aiming at a detente with North Korea died recently?
Kim Dae Jung
63. Who is the Man of the series of One Day cricket series between Zimbabwe and Bangladsesh ?
Tamim Iqbal(Bangladesh).Bangladesh won the series by 4-1.
64. Who captured the World Athletics Championships gold medal in the women's 100 meters to claim the title of "World's Fastest Woman"
65. Who remains the world's most powerful woman for 2009, according to a ranking published by Forbes magazine?
Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
The list of the hundred women includes–
Sonia Gandhi (13),
Chanda Kochhar, CEO of ICICI Bank, India.
66. Ninety-six-year-old, a Florida resident of Indian origin who becomes the world's oldest blogger.?
67. Who is appointed as new Pak Taliban chief?
68. Who won the Man of the Match in the final test of Ashes held at The Ovalin 2009?
Jonathan Trott became man of the match for his maiden century (119) in the debut Ashes Test match.
England won the Ashes (2-1) .
Man of the Series: Andrew Strauss (England)
Michael Clark (Australia)
69. Ethiopian Olympic Champion who won the gold medal in the 5000m and 10000m race in Berlin, marking the first time an athlete has ever won distance double at the IAAF World Athletics Championships?
70. The controversial book written by former union minister and B.J.P leader Jaswant singh that eulogising Mohd Ali Jinnah ?
“Jinnah - India, Partition, Independence”
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) expelled Jaswant Singh from the primary membership of the party days after the release of his book praising Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan.
71. Who won the Rogers Cup Women singles title beating Maria Sharapova in the final?
72. Who won the Cincinnati Open Men’s Tennis title after beating Novak Djokovic in the final?
73. Which team lifts the Spanish Supercup football title?
They beat Athletic Bilbao 3-0 in the final
74. Who won the Miss Universe 2009 title?
Stefania Fernandez, Miss Venezuela
75. Who has been appointed director of the Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala?
76. Which team won the 2009 Santiago Bernabeu Trophy by defeating Norwegian side Rosenborg (4-0) in the final ?
77. One of the most influential and longest-serving senators in the history of America who dies at the age of 77?
Edward Kennedy. He is the brother of former US president John F Kennedy.
78. Who becomes the first left-arm spinner to claim 300 Test wickets?
Daniel Vettori(New Zealand)
79. Which country has become Japan's largest trading partner recently ?
80. Who will be appointed as the Guwahati chief justice.?
Justice Kurian Joseph
81. Which player was named the European Club Player of the Year 2009?
Lionel Messi of Barcelona
82. Which team won the UEFA Supercup defeating Shakhtar Donetsk (1-0)?
83. Who crowned the first ever Miss Bollywood UK at a gala event in Birmingham ?
84. Indians who won the mixed doubles title at the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix Gold badminton?
Jwala Gutta and Valiyaveetil Diju
85. Who won the Man of the Series in the test series between Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
Thilan Samaraveera(Sri Lanka)
Sri Lanka Won the series(2-0)
Disclaimer: The author claims full ownership of all articles herein but doesn't claim ownership of all photos posted on this site. If the respective copyright owners wish for their photos to be taken down, feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment and these will be taken down immediately.