1. Switzerland has recently inaugurated the longest and deepest railway tunnel in the world. What is the name of that tunnel?
Gotthard Base Tunnel.
Gotthard Base Tunnel is a railway base tunnel through the Alps in Switzerland. It opened on 1 June 2016 with full service to begin in December 2016. With a route length of 57.09 km (35.5 mi) and a total of 151.84 km (94.3 mi) of tunnels, shafts and passages, it is the world's longest and deepest traffic tunnel and the first flat, low-level route through the Alps.
2. Bollywood actor who is popularly known for his role of Manikchand in Shah Rukh Khan starrer Baadshah, passed away on June 1, 2016?
The comic actor made his debut in Bollywood with Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja in1993 and was seen in more than 90 movies in his entire career span. He had also appeared on Kapil Sharma’s show ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ in 2014.
3. Name the Seven-year-old Japanese boy who was found by authorities in the woods nearly a week after his parents abandoned him for disciplinary reasons?
Yamato Tanooka went missing in bear-inhabited forests in northern Japan after his parents apparently abandoned him as punishment, has been found alive.
4. American Olympic and professional boxer and activist, who is widely regarded as one of the most significant and celebrated sports figures of the 20th century, passed away on June 3, 2016?
Cassius Clay was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, and began training as an amateur boxer when he was 12 years old. At 18, he won a gold medal in the light heavyweight division at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, and converted to Islam shortly afterwards. At age 22 in 1964, he won the WBA and WBC heavyweight titles from Sonny Liston in an upset. Clay then changed his legal name from Cassius Clay, which he called his "slave name", to Muhammad Ali, and gave a message of racial pride for African Americans and resistance to white domination during the 1960s Civil Rights Movement. Ali has suffered from Parkinson’s for three decades, most famously trembling badly while lighting the Olympic torch in 1996 in Atlanta.
5. The revenue minister in the BJP-led government in Maharashtra who has submitted his resignation to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis after allegations of impropriety surfaced against him in a land deal in Pune?
6. Name the 96year old Japanese man who has entered the Guinness World Records after becoming the oldest person in the world to receive a university degree?
Shigemi Hirata, who lives in Takamatsu in east Japan, received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Art and Design from Kyoto University in March at the age of 96 years and 200 days.
7. Complete list of winners of French Open Tennis Title 2016:
French Open Men's Singles Title-2016:
Winner: Novak Djokovic (Serbia). He defeated Andy Murray (UK) in the final.
French Open Women's Singles Title-2016:
Winner: Garbine Muguruza (Spain).
She defeated Serena Williams (USA) in the final.
French Open men's Doubles Title-2016:
Winners: Feliciano Lopez (Spain) & Marc Lopez (Spain).
They defeated Bob Bryan (USA) & Mike Bryan (USA) in the final.
French Open Women's Doubles Title-2016:
Winners: Caroline Garcia (France) & Kristina Mladenovic (France)
They defeated Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) & Elena Vesnina (Russia) in the final.
French Open Mixed Doubles Title-2016:
Winners: Martina Hingis (Switzerland) & Leander Paes (India).
They defeated Sania Mirza (India) & Ivan Dodig (Croatia) in the final.
8. What is the name of the Afghan-India Friendship Dam which is a hydroelectric and irrigation dam project located on the Hari River in Chishti Sharif District of Herat Province in western Afghanistan?
The dam was opened on 4 June 2016 by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. The Afghan cabinet renamed the Salma Dam to the Afghan-India Friendship Dam in a move to strengthen relations between the two countries. The hydroelectric plant produces 42 MW of power in addition to providing irrigation for 75,000 hectares of farmland.
9. The second Indian (after Monotosh Roy in 1951) to win any Mr. Universe title, passed away on June 5, 2016?
He won the 1952 NABBA Universe Championships. At 4 feet 11 inches (1.50 m) tall, he was given the name "Pocket Hercules".
10. Which countries signed seven agreements on June 5, 2016 which including one on finance intelligence to check money laundering and terrorism financing and another to woo foreign investment in the infrastructure sector?
India and Qatar.
11. Which city became the first city in the country to have its own city animal after Kamrup metropolitan district administration declared Gangetic River dolphin as its official mascot?
Gangetic River Dolphin locally in Guwahati is known as ‘Sihu’ and it is on the verge of extinction. Less than 2,000 Gangetic river dolphins remain in the Brahmaputra River along Guwahati. Background
12. Who won the Catalunya Motorcycle Grant Prix 2016?
13. Who was elected the Speaker of the 14th Assembly of Kerala State?
P. Sreeramakrishnan (CPM).
14. Who became the first England cricketer to cross the 10,000-run mark in Test cricket, and the youngest overall, beating Sachin Tendulkar's record set in 2005 by five months at the age of 31 years, five months?
15. Adobe South Asia region MD who has been appointed as the Managing Director of Facebook, India?
Umang Bedi will take over from Kirthiga Reddy who will be returning to United States to take on a new role at the company’s headquarters at Menlo Park.
16. The U.S. has recently recognised an Asian country as its ‘major defence partner,’ a classification that will allow that country to buy more advanced and sensitive technologies from the U.S. Which is that country?
17. Russian Tennis star who has been banned for two years by the International Tennis Federation for using a prohibited drug?
The ban has been backdated to January 26 - the day the Russian failed her drugs test in Melbourne - meaning it will end on January 25, 2018. The heart disease drug, which 29-year-old Sharapova says she has been taking since 2006 for health issues, became a banned substance on 1 January 2016.
18. A Maldives court has convicted the country’s former vice president of masterminding a plot to kill the president by exploding a bomb on his speedboat last year and sentenced him to 15 years in prison. What is the name of that former vice president of Maldives?\
Adeeb is the fourth high profile politician to be jailed on terrorism charges since Yameen Abdul Gayoom was elected president in 2013.
19. Who became the first Indian batsman to hit a century on One-Day International debut?
Rahul hit century in his ODI debut in first of the three ODIs against Zimbabwe at Harare Sports
20. American singer, songwriter and YouTuber known for her participation in the NBC singing competition The Voice and for her covers of hit songs by contemporary pop musicians, died on June 10, 2016, of gunshot wounds inflicted in a targeted attack that followed her concert performance in Orlando, Florida?
A gunman opened fire at a Florida concert venue as singer Christina Grimmie signed autographs for fans after a show, killing the onetime star of The Voice before shooting and killing himself.
21. First forensic surgeon of Kerala who was director and professor of forensic medicine at Kozhikode Medical College, passed away on June 12, 2016?
Dr. P.V. Guharaj.
His finding that P. Rajan, a student of the erstwhile Regional Engineering College, Kozhikode, died as a result of custodial torture had irked several policemen and politicians during the Emergency period. He has authored a book titled Forensic Medicine which is an authentic reference text in India.
22. World athletics governing body IAAF has provisionally suspended its deputy director over charges that he contrived to conceal news of positive Russian drugs tests in 2013. Who is that deputy director?
23. Veteran Emirati journalist who was one of the first journalists in the UAE, passed away on June 11, 2016?
Musabeh Obaid Al Daheri.
He founded a local newspaper called “Al Nakhi” in 1934.
24. Who won the Australian Open Badminton Women’s title-2016 after defeating China’s Sun Yu in the final?
25. Who won the Canadian Grand Prix-2016?
The Canadian Grand Prix is an annual auto race held in Canada since 1961.
26. Microsoft has recently decided to buy the largest business-oriented social networking site for $26.2 billion in the largest acquisition in its history. Which is that social networking site?
The acquisition, by far the largest in Microsoft’s history, unites two companies in different businesses: one a big maker of software tools, the other the largest business-oriented social networking site, with more than 400 million members globally.
27. Who won the Man of the series award in the three ODI cricket series between India and Zimbabwe held in Zimbabwe in June 2016?
K.Lokesh Rahul (India).
Series - India won the 3-match series 3-0.
28. The Bombay High Court on June 13, 2016 directed the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) to issue an ‘A’ certificate to the Indian crime-drama film with the deletion of one scene and a modified disclaimer. Which is that film?
It is based on drug abuse in the Indian state of Punjab and is directed by Abhishek Chaubey.
On 4 June 2016, the Central Board of Film Certification sought a stay on the film's release citing that the themes dealt with in the film were too vulgar for the general audience.
29. President of which country has been accorded the highest honour of Cote D’Ivoirie by its President Alassane Ouattara?
President Pranab Mukherjee was bestowed with Cote d’Ivoire’s highest national honour, the Grande Croix Commandeur in National Merit Order, from the President of Cote d’Ivoire Alassane Ouattara.
30. Who becomes world's fastest batsman to score 23 ODI hundreds?
Amla broke the record held by Virat Kohli. Amla took only 132 innings to score his 23 ODI hundreds while Kohli reached there in his 157th innings.
31. Brazil football legend who was presented with an Olympic order -- the highest honour given by the International Olympics Committee (IOC) ?
32. Australian Film Director who is widely regarded as the father of Australian arthouse cinema, passed away on June 18, 2016?
The Dutch-born director is known for his films Man of Flowers, A Woman's Tale and Innocence.
33. Who won European Grand Prix -2016?
34. American film and television actor, known for portraying Pavel Chekov in the Star Trek reboot series, who died of injuries in less than a minute after he was pinned between SUV and against a brick mailbox pillar and a fence?
35. Who has been elected as Rome’s first female mayor?
Raggi represents the anti-corruption Five Star Movement (M5S).
36. Who has taken charge as the Officiating Chairman-cum- Managing Director of United India Insurance Company Ltd with effect from June 8, 2016?
He has been appointed in place of Milind Kharat who has retired as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director on May 31, 2016.
37. Which country won the Champions Trophy Hockey title-2016 defeating India in the penalty shootout?
This was Australia's 14th Champions Trophy triumph.
38. Who has been appointed as chief of the country's premier fashion technology institute NIFT?
39. The chief executive of Bharti Group who has been elected chairman of the International Chambers of Commerce (ICC)?
Sunil Bharti Mittal.
40. Name the newborn fully-formed exoplanet (planets that orbit stars beyond our Sun) discovered by NASA in 2016?
K2-33b is a bit larger than Neptune and whips tightly around its star every five days. It is only five to 10 million years old, making it one of a very few newborn planets found to date.
41. The government of India on June 20, 2016 banned use of a permissible food additive following a CSE study that found its presence in bread as causing cancer. Which is that food additive?
42. What is the name of the autobiography of Sourav Ganguly, former cricket captain of India?
'A Century Is Not Enough'.
Ganguly has collaborated with senior journalist Gautam Bhattacharya for his first book 'A Century Is Not Enough'.
43. Name the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle which successfully launched the 727.5 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with 19 co-passenger satellites on June 22, 2016?
PSLV-C34 (also known as Cartosat-2 series satellite) was the 36th mission of the PSLV program and 14th mission of PSLV in XL configuration. The PSLV-C34 successfully carried and deployed 20 satellites in the Sun-synchronous orbit. With a launch mass of 320,000 kilograms and payload mass of 1,288 kilograms, the C34 set a new record of deploying the maximum number of satellites by Indian Space Research Organisation in a single mission.
44. One of Pakistan's best known Sufi musicians who has been shot dead in the southern port city of Karachi on June 22, 2016?
Sabri was a Pakistani singer and a proponent of the Sufi Muslim tradition. Son of Ghulam Farid Sabri of the Sabri Brothers, he emerged as one of South Asia's most prominent qawwali singers, often reciting poems written by his father and uncle. He was shot dead in Karachi in a targeted killing claimed by a splinter group of the Pakistani Taliban.
45. The President & Chief Operating Officer of SoftBank Corp who resigned from the post on June 22, 2016?
Ken Miyauchi, head of the Soft Bank group’s Japanese telecommunications operations, would become president and chief operating officer to replace Nikesh Arora.
46. Who becomes all-time top goal scorer for Argentina when he scored in the Copa America semi-final against the United States to take his international tally to 55 goals?
The goal in his 112th international lifts him above Gabriel Batistuta, who scored 54 goals in 78 games for the two-time world champions.
47. Who was named by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as Team India's head coach for a year?
Kumble has been appointed as the coach of Indian Cricket team for one year.
48. Who has unexpectedly resigned as chairman of state-owned Life Insurance Corporation of India, two years before his term ends?
49. Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director and Country Manager for Paypal (India), US-based payment platform?
50. Which countries joined Chinese and Russian led security organisation whilst maintaining close relations with the West?
India and Pakistan.
51. Prime Minister of Britain who has resigned, after the British public took the momentous decision to reject his entreaties and turn their back on the European Union?
52. Who has been re-appointed India's batting coach for their four-Test tour of West Indies?
53. Acclaimed dramatist, theatre director and poet who has given to Malayalam literature and theatre fine works such as “Avanavan Kadamba”,” Daivathar”, “Kaikkuttappad” and “Ottayaan”, passed away on June 26, 2016?
Kavalam Narayana Panicker.
He has written over 26 Malayalam plays, many adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare, notably Madhyamavyayogam (1979), Kalidasa's Vikramorvasiyam (1981, 1996), Shakuntalam (1982), Karnabharam (1984, 2001), Bhasa's Uru Bhangam (1988), Swapnavasavadattam, and Dootavakyam (1996)
He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Direction in 1983 by Sangeet Natak Akademi, and its highest award for lifetime achievement, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in 2002. In 2007, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan in the field of Arts, by the Government of India.
54. Legendary artist, credited with being one of the pioneers of Indian modern art, passed away on June 29, 2016?
K G Subramanyan.
He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 2012.
55. Former India batsman who was named head coach of the Afghanistan national cricket team in June 2016?
He replaced ex-Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq who resigned from the post in April.
56. The world´s first electric road is opened in which country?
The world´s first electric road is being inaugurated near the city of Gavle in central Sweden.
57. Which country has joined an exclusive club of countries controlling exports in missile technology?
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar signed the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), aimed at preventing unchecked proliferation of missiles. India's entry into the regime [MTCR] as its 35th member.
58. Which country won Copa America defeating Argentina in the final?
59. Who became the first Indian female athlete to qualify for the 100m dash in Olympics in 36 years as she booked a Rio Games berth at the 26th G Kosanov Memorial Meet in Almaty, Kazakhstan?
60. Argentina footballer who has retired from international football after missing in a penalty shootout as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years?