1. Bollywood superstar who has been signed as the brand ambassador of QMobile, the largest selling mobile phone brand in Pakistan?
2. Who won the man of the match award in the fifth Ashes Test (Australia Vs England) held in Sydney from January 3-5, 2013?
Ryan Harris. (Australia). He took 3 wickets in first innings and 5 wickets in second innings.
Result: Australia won by 281 runs.
3. Who won the player of the series award in the Ashes Test (Australia Vs England) held in Australia in 2013-2014?
Mitchell Johnson. (Australia).
Series Result: Australia won the 5-match series 5-0.
4. Which country has terminated a £466m ($770m) helicopter order with the British-Italian company AgustaWestland following accusations that the firm bribed officials?
In early 2013, an Indian parliamentary investigation began into allegations of bribery and corruption involving several senior officials and helicopter manufacturer AgustaWestland surrounding the purchase of a new fleet of helicopters. The scandal has been referred to as the Chopper scam or Choppergate by elements of the media and popular press. Several Indian politicians and military officials have been accused of accepting bribes from AgustaWestland in order to win the 36 billion (US$600 million) Indian contract for the supply of 12 AgustaWestland AW101 helicopters; these helicopters are intended to perform VVIP duties for the President of India and other important state officials.
India cancelled the 3,600 crore deal with AgustaWestland deal in Jan,2014.The decision to annul the 2010 deal, being probed by CBI for irregularities, came after a meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singhand Defence Minister AK Antony in New Delhi .
5. Man of the match winners of three test cricket matches played between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in UAE in January-2014:
First test match between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in Abu Dhabi from Dec 31-Jan 4:
Man of the Match: Angelo Mathews (Sri Lanka). He scored 91 runs in first innings and unbeaten 157 runs in second innings.
Result: Match drawn.
Second test match between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in Dubai from Jan 8-Jan 12:
Man of the Match: Mahela Jayewardene (Sri Lanka). He scored 129 runs in first innings.
Result: Sri Lanka won by 9 wickets.
Third test match between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in Sharjah from Jan 16-Jan 20:
Man of the Match: Mahela Jayewardene (Sri Lanka). He scored 129 runs in first innings.
Result: Pakistan won by 5 wickets.
Series Result: 3-match series drawn 1-1
6. Who won the Player of the series award in the three test cricket matches played between Sri Lanka and Pakistan held in UAE in January-2014?
Angelo Mathews (Sri Lanka).
7. Which countries signed an agreement on Labour Corporation for Domestic Service Workers Recruitment on January 2, 2014?
India and Saudi Arabia.
8. Who scored the fastest century in the history of One Day International cricket or any other format of international cricket?
Corey Anderson (New Zealand).
On 1 January 2014, he reached his 100 in a one-day match against West Indies in Queenstown from 36 balls, breaking the record of 37 set by Pakistan's Shahid Afridi in 1996. He eventually ended with an unbeaten 131 that featured 14 sixes and 6 fours. Along with Jesse Ryder, he helped New Zealand set the team record for the most sixes in an ODI innings.
9. Who took over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Air Command (SAC) of India on January 1, 2014?
Air Marshal Arun Purushottam Garud.
He took over as the 23rd Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief as the Southern Air Command.
10. Who won the Brisbane International Women’s Singles Title -2014 defeating Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in the final held in Brisbane?
11. Which country won the ACC Under-19 Asia Cup-2014 held at Sharjah Cricket Stadium?
India defeated Pakistan by 40 runs to win the ACC Under-19 Asia Cup. The ACC Under-19 Asia Cup is a cricket tournament organised by the ACC for Under-19 teams from its member nations. It was first held in 2012 in Malaysia where the trophy was shared by India and Pakistan after the final was tied. The second edition was held in 2013/14 in UAE which was won by India.
12. Who won 2014 Shenzhen Open Women’s singles title?
She defeated Peng Shuai in straight sets to win her eighth career singles title and her second Shenzhen Open.
13. Winners of Australian Open Tennis 2014:
Australian Open Women’s Singles Title-2014:
Winner: Li Na. She won the women's singles, beating Dominika Cibulkova in the final
Australian Open Men’s Singles Title-2014:
Winner: Stanislas Wawrinka. He defeated Rafael Nadal in the men's singles final to win his first grand slam title.
Australian Open women's doubles title-2014:
Winners: Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci. They defended their women's doubles title with a victory over Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
Australian Open Men's doubles title-2014:
Winners: Lukasz Kubot and Robert Lindstedt. They won the men's doubles title with a victory over Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen.
Australian Open Mixed doubles title-2014:
Kristina Mladenovic and Daniel Nestor. . The won the mixed doubles title defeating Sania Mirza and Horia Tecau in the final.
14. Veteran Malayalam playback singer who rendered scores of songs noted for their emotional depth, passed away on January 5, 2014?
K. P. Udayabhanu.
In 2009, he was awarded the Padma Shri, India's fourth highest civilian honour. He won the National Film Award for Best Non-Feature Film Music Direction, 1994 (Myth of the Tree, Serpant Mother).
15. Who won the Auckland Classic Women’s Title-2014 defeating Venus Williams in the final?
Ana Ivanovic. (Serbia).
16. Name the heavy rocket with an indigenous cryogenic engine which is successfully launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on January 5, 2-014 from the spaceport at Sriharikota?
GSLV-D5 successfully launches GSAT-14 from SDSC SHAR, Sriharikota on Jan 05, 2014.
17. Who won the Chennai Open men’s Title-2014 defeating Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France in the final?
18. Portugal football legend who was top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, passed away on January 5, 2014?
During his professional career, he scored 733 goals in 745 matches. Nicknamed the Black Panther, the Black Pearl, or o Rei (the King), he was known for his speed, technique, athleticism and his ferocious, accurate right-footed shot, making him an outstandingly prolific goal scorer. He helped Portugal reach third place at the 1966 World Cup, being the top goal scorer of the tournament with nine goals (including four in one match against North Korea) and received the Bronze Ball award. He won the Ballon d'Or award for European footballer of the year in 1965.
19. Bangladesh’s political party which won more than two-thirds of the seats in Parliament after an election boycotted by major Opposition parties and marred by violence and low turnout?
20. Who won the Qatar Open men’s Title-2014 defeating Gael Monfils in the final?
21. Who resigned as chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) following allegations of sexual harassment by a law intern?
22. Young Telugu star who shot to fame with Chitram and acted in over 18 films committed suicide on January 5, 2014?
He was a Filmfare Award winning Indian film actor, who primarily worked in the Telugu cinema. His first three films, Chitram, Nuvvu Nenu and Manasantha Nuvve, were successful hits, earning him the title "Hat-trick Hero". Nee Sneham film is last hit in his career.
In 2001, he won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu for the film Nuvvu Nenu, and became the youngest winner of the Filmfare best actor award after Kamal Haasan. He is the only one Telugu actor first four films are remade into all regional languages. In 2006, He made his Tamil debut with the film Poi, directed by veteran K. Balachander. Subsequently, he starred in romantic films including Nee Sneham and Kalusukovalani.
23. Young shuttler from Madhya Pradesh who has become the first male junior badminton player from India to be ranked number one in the world?
24. Indigenously developed missile of India which is successfully test fired from a test range at Chandipur on January 7, 2014?
Prithvi-II missile is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and has a strike range of 350 km.
25. An Italian priest who had dedicated his life in service of the poor in
India for more than 68 years, passed away in Kozhikode on January 6, 2014?
Father L M Sukol.
He became an Indian citizen in 1980. Popularly known as ‘Valiachan’, Fr Sukol started his humanitarian initiatives among the poor in Wayanad and moved on to Mariyapuram Nithya Sahaya Sabha near Pariyaram in Kannur where he stayed for nearly four decades in a humble room and led a pious life dedicated to the hapless and the downtrodden.
26. Which panchayath has been declared the first ‘child-friendly’ village in Kozhikkode district (Kerala)?
The Perumanna grama panchayath.
27. Man of the Match winners of 2 ODI cricket matches played between New Zealand and West Indies held in New Zealand in January 2014:
Third ODI between New Zealand and West Indies held in Queenstown on January 1, 2014:
Man of the Match: Corey Anderson (New Zealand). He scored unbeaten 131 runs from 51 balls.
Result: New Zealand won by 159 runs.
Fourth ODI between New Zealand and West Indies held in Nelson on January 4, 2014:
Man of the Match: Martin Guptill (New Zealand). He scored unbeaten 131 runs from 51 balls.
Result: New Zealand won by 58 runs.
Fifth ODI between New Zealand and West Indies held in Hamilton on January 8, 2014:
Man of the Match: Dwayne Bravo (West Indies). He scored 106 runs.
Result: West Indies won by 203 runs.
Series Result: 5-match series drew 2-2.
28. Popular soap-opera actress and former Miss Venezuela who was killed along with her ex-husband while on vacation in Venezuela?
29. Interim President of Central African Republic who has resigned at a regional summit aimed at ending violence that has engulfed the country?
30. Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder who has been named the Confederation of African Football (Caf) Footballer of the Year-2014?
31. Former Israeli prime minister and storied general who passed away on January 11, 2014?
He served as the 11th Prime Minister of Israel until he was incapacitated by a stroke. Sharon was considered the greatest field commander in Israel's history, and one of the country's greatest military strategists. Sharon was a commander in the Israeli Army from its creation in 1948. As a soldier and then an officer, he participated prominently in the 1948 War of Independence, becoming a platoon commander in the Alexandroni Brigade and taking part in many battles, including Operation Ben Nun Alef. He was an instrumental figure in the creation of Unit 101, and the Retribution operations, as well as in the 1956 Suez Crisis, the Six-Day War of 1967, the War of Attrition, and the Yom-Kippur War of 1973. As Minister of Defense, he directed the 1982 Lebanon War.
After his assault of the Sinai in the Six-Day War and his encirclement of the Egyptian Third Army in the Yom Kippur War, the Israeli public nicknamed him "The King of Israel". Upon retirement, Sharon entered politics, joining the Likud, and served in a number of ministerial posts in Likud-led governments from 1977–92 and 1996–99. He became the leader of the Likud in 2000, and served as Israel's prime minister from 2001 to 2006. After suffering a stroke on January 4, 2006, Sharon remained in a permanent vegetative state until his death in January 2014.
32. Name the US diplomat expelled by India hours after the departure from the United States of an Indian consular officer (Devyani Khobragade) who was asked to leave after she was indicted on charges of visa fraud?
33. Who has been sworn in as Bangladesh's prime minister for her second straight term after an election marred by violence and boycotts?
She previously served as Prime Minister from 1996 to 2001. Sheikh Hasina acted as the leader of the opposition in the parliament for almost 12 years. She has led the Bangladesh Awami League since 1981.
34. Libya's deputy industry minister who has been shot dead during a visit to his hometown of Sirte, east of the capital Tripoli?
35. Who has been named as the most admired person on the planet with cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar fifth on a list of 30 people compiled after a poll in 13 countries, including India?
Bill Gates (Microsoft founder).
The 'World's most admired people poll' was conducted by YouGov for The Times by surveying almost 14,000 people in Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, US, Australia, Pakistan, Indonesia, India, China, Egypt, Nigeria and Brazil. There were four Indians in the top ten; Sachin (Fifth), Narendra Modi (7th), Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan (9th) and former President Abdul Kalam (10th).
36. Man of the Match winners of ODI cricket series played between Australia and England held in Australia in January 2014:
First ODI between Australia and England held in Melbourne on January 12, 2014:
Man of the Match: Aaron Finch (Australia). He scored 121 runs.
Result: Australia won by 6 wickets.
Second ODI between Australia and England held in Brisbane on January 17, 2014:
Man of the Match: James Faulkner (Australia). He scored unbeaten 69 runs.
Result: Australia won by 1 wicket.
Third ODI between Australia and England held in Sydney on January 19, 2014:
Man of the Match: David Warner (Australia). He scored 71 runs.
Result: Australia won by 7 wickets.
Fourth ODI between Australia and England held in Perth on January 24, 2014:
Man of the Match: Ben Stokes (England). He scored 70 runs and took 4 wickets.
Result: England won by 57 runs.
Fifth ODI between Australia and England held in Adelaide Oval on January 26, 2014:
Man of the Match: James Faulkner (Australia). He scored 27 runs and took 2 wickets.
Result: Australia won by 5 runs.
Series Result: Australia won the 5-match series 4-1.
37. Who won the Player of the series award in the 5 ODI cricket matches played between Australia and England held in Australia in January 2014?
Aaron Finch (Australia).
38. Which state emerged champions for a record 17th straight year as it won the overall championship at the 59th national school athletic meet concluded in Ranchi?
39. Which pair won the ATP Sydney International Men’s Doubles Tennis Title-2014 defeating Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi in the final?
Daniel Nestor (Canada) and Nenad Zimonjic (Serbia).
40. 17-year-old American who lived with progeria, a rare genetic condition that accelerates the ageing process, passed away on January 10, 2014?
Progeria (Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome, progeria syndrome) is an extremely rare genetic disorder wherein symptoms resembling aspects of aging are manifested at a very early age. Progeria is one of several progeroid syndromes. The word progeria comes from the Greek words "pro", meaning "before" or "premature", and "geras", meaning "old age".
41. Which Malayalam writer won the Odakkuzhal Award-2013?
K.R.Meera. She won the award for her novel Aarachaar (The Hangman).
Odakkuzhal Award is an Indian literary award given by the Guruvayoorappan Trust every year to writers for a particular outstanding work of him/her in Malayalam–language. The award was founded in 1969 by renowned poet G. Sankara Kurup to commemorate the Jnanpith Award he had won.
42. Without a single reported case of polio in three years, which country has been declared a polio-free nation by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2014?
43. Complete list of Winners of Golden Globe Awards-2013:
The 71st Golden Globe Awards, honoring the best in film and American television of 2013, was broadcast live from the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, on January 12, 2014, by NBC.
Best Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge.
Best Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Behind the Candelabra
Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad.
Best Television Series – Drama: Breaking Bad.
Best Original Score – Motion Picture: Alex Ebert, All Is Lost.
Best Original Song – Motion Picture: Ordinary Love, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Jon Voight, Ray Donovan
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical: Amy Adams, American Hustle.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama: Robin Wright, House of Cards.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club.
Best Screenplay – Motion Picture: Her.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical: Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Best Foreign-Language Film: The Great Beauty.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra.
Best Animated Feature Film: Frozen.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical: Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation.
Best Director – Motion Picture: Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity.
Best Television Series – Comedy or Musical: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical: American Hustle
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club.
Best Motion Picture – Drama: 12 Years a Slave
44. Who has been upgraded to gold status in the 2005 World Athletics Final in Monte Carlo following the disqualification of Tatyana Kotova of Russia by the International Association of Athletics Federations, following the recent re-testing of the latter’s sample collected at the 2005 World Championship in Helsinki?
Anju Bobby George.
45. What is the name of new potentially hazardous asteroid discovered by NASA’s Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE)?
The 2013 YP139 is about 43 million kilometers from Earth and circles the Sun in an elliptical orbit titled to the plane of solar system. It is possible for its orbit to bring it as close as 482803 km from Earth, a little more than the distance to the Moon. But it will not come that close within the next century.
46. Kerala-based writer who won The Hindu Prize for Best Fiction 2013 for his second novel, Vanity Bagh for consistent writing and humour and imagination?
The Hindu Prize for Best Fiction given by the National Daily “The Hindu” recognises the contribution of Indian writers to literary culture. It comprises a cash component of Rs. 5 lakh and a plaque. Manu Joseph won the first The Hindu Prize for Best Fiction in 2010 for his debut novel Serious Men.
47. Name the Chinese obstetrician who has been given a suspended death sentence for stealing newborn babies and selling them to child traffickers?
48. Man of the Match winners of 2 T20 Cricket matches played between New Zealand and West Indies held in New Zealand in January 2014:
First T20 between New Zealand and West Indies held in Auckland on January 11, 2014:
Man of the Match: Luke Ronchi (New Zealand). He scored unbeaten 48 runs from 25 balls.
Result: New Zealand won by 81 runs.
Second T20 between New Zealand and West Indies held in Wellington on January 15, 2014:
Man of the Match: Luke Ronchi (New Zealand). He scored unbeaten 51 runs from 28 balls.
Result: New Zealand won by 4 wickets.
Series New Zealand won the 2-match series 2-0.
49. Which footballer won the 2013 Ballon D'Or award?
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal).
The FIFA Ballon d'Or is an association football award given annually to the male player who is considered to have performed the best in the previous year. It is awarded based on votes by coaches and captains of international teams, as well as journalists from around the world.
Other Winners of FIFA AWARDS:
Honorary Ballon D'Or: Pele (Brazil)
Woman player of the year: Nadine Angerer (Germany)
Men's team coach of the year: Jupp Heynckes (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Women's team coach of the year: Silvia Neid (German national team)
Puskas prize for goal of the year: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) for his goal against England in a friendly
President's prize: Jacques Rogge (Belgium/former International Olympic Committee president)
'Fair Play': Afghan Football Federation.
50. What is the name of Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS), the third Fast Patrol Vessel built by CSL (Cochin Shipyard, Limited) which was commissioned on January 15, 2014?
MORE QUESTIONS WILL BE UPDATED SOON!